Friday, October 25, 2013

Video Games, Simple Childhood Pastime or Educational Tool

During his MOOC discussion Mr. Brian Stone briefly discussed the potential for video games to be more than what its perceived as. Most perceive video games as a childhood hobby or borderline obsession. However to people like me, a frequent video game player, can learn real-life applications from the games I've played. And by default it's in a meta- cognitive way.

Personally, I played a lot of basketball video games. When I played I was playing as some of the best basketball players in the world, so of course their talent level is better than mine. However, from playing the game every now and then i would find a move that seemed to work against defenses. As I looked at the move closely I would notice how it gives the offensive player an advantage over the defensive.

When I would get the chance to go the park I would try the move I've been using in the video game. The first few attempts would be a very bad imitation of the move. But as I slowed down each step in the move, I would think of as I do each part, what do I want to happen. The overall goal was to catch a weakness in the defensive player, but each move I made had to be productive. When I broke down the thought process of the move I was able to them. Sometimes they would be a little different because I felt that way was more productive for me, but that's what makes it 'your move'.

Video games can clearly be used as an educational tool. Video games can be developed as a simulation tool for various different things in the real world. As long as the field is presented in the video game format, players will be able to grasp the concept through their playing. Though when they try to perform the act in real life they have the reference of the video games to help them perform the way they want.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely believe that video games can be used as an educational tool. I remember as a child, I had many video that were traditional in the educational sense. I had games geared towards Math, Science, English, etc. that helped me in my academics. I also think that video games are a great way to educate students of any age, because they are interactive, and take the "boring" aspect out of learning something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Video games are really great educational tools! In my case soccer is my favorite sport and therefore whatever moves, game tactics or plays I learn from playing a soccer video games, I am able to able more often than not when I am on the real field of play. Academic games also help stimulate and our thinking abilities and thankfully through the advancement of technology, they now tend to be entertaining and educational concurrently.

    ReplyDelete